With the technology used in video projectors constantly improving and prices becoming more affordable, they have become an interesting and viable alternative to TVs for people looking to set up a new home theater. Even though projectors allow you to watch movies and TV programs on a 100-inch screen without breaking the bank, they are not for everyone. In fact, in some cases, an actual TV may be a better option.
What are the benefits of using a projector?
- Size: With a good projector, you will be able to watch a movie the way it was meant to be seen. Movies are made to be projected onto a huge screen – something you can do with a high-resolution projector.
- Experience: Typically, a projector has a larger screen and less brightness than a TV, and to many people this leads to a more comfortable viewing experience. Latest models support high-end standards like 3D and 4K which makes movie watching more immersive.
- Cost: The price of a projector is often a fraction of that of a similar-sized HDTV. In fact, for the price of a 108-inch LED, you can buy an HD projector and a good sound system.
What are some of the drawbacks of a projector?
- Sound: Even though some projectors come with in-built speakers, many don’t. Moreover, the quality of projector speakers is often nothing to write home about. To do a large screen justice, you will have to invest in an additional high-quality home audio setup.
- Light: Projectors are extremely sensitive to ambient light, and it is one of their biggest drawbacks. A room has to be perfectly dark to for the projector to display a crystal clear picture. Even then, quality of the image will be affected by light from the device itself and the picture can be interrupted by people walking in front of the beam.
- Lamps: Projectors use bulbs or “lamps” to throw the image onto the screen. Lamps have a shelf life of 700-3000 hours, which could run out pretty quickly. In fact, many projectors require lamp replacement every year – which can be a really expensive proposition. As the lamp loses its luminescence, the output will get darker as well.
Why should I choose a projector over a TV?
If you want to have a theater-like experience in the comfort of your home, a projector is the best way to go. Not only will you be able to watch movies on a large screen, but also regular television programs, sports, etc. They are easy to install – all you need is a power outlet, a screen, and a large enough flat surface.
However, to get the best possible experience, you may have to dedicate a special room for the projector which is dark enough so that ambient light does not affect picture quality. You will have to invest in dedicated audio system as well.
Overall, there is no better way to spend some time watching the game with your friends or a movie with your family than with a projector – as long as you are willing to cope with a few niggles.